Press Release: Award-Winning Dorking Businesses Leading the Way
Meet the businesses putting Dorking on the map in Surrey and Nationally
29 MARCH 2023: Dorking is home to some of the most independently spirited and eclectic people and independent businesses. It is widely acknowledged to be a food enthusiast’s dream, renowned for its culinary expertise and a host of cuisines to satisfy a variety of tastes. Called the ‘commuter town that gives London a run for its money’, Dorking has something for everyone, as well as an eclectic mix of beloved shops and services to entice locals and visitors to keep coming back for more.
Here’s a rundown of Dorking’s award-winning offerings and experiences:
From renowned chefs to gin distillers, female-led businesses championing sustainability, microbrewers to fashion-forward retailers, hair artists to luxury spas, baristas to artisan gift curators – across nearly every sector, Dorking independents are defying the odds, displaying extraordinary resilience and creativity, and are winning multiple local, national and international accolades.
- Sorrel Restaurant, for the sixth year in a row, has been awarded another Michelin Star. It is Chef Steve Drake’s 21st year achieving this honour from the Michelin Guide. With a Michelin star and 4 AA rosettes, there is no doubt of the quality of experience diners receive, along with the warmest of welcomes in the beautiful and atmospheric surroundings of the historic building that dates back to 1733.
- In 2023, Mireya Quiton Tuijtelaars, founder of Mia Strada located in St Martin’s Walk, was named to the nationally recognised Small Business Britain f:entrepreneur #ialso100 list. The campaign highlights the top 100 inspiring female business leaders across the UK. Mia Strada has grown from one store with two team members to two bricks and mortar locations and an online store, selling ethical clothing and jewellery.
- Teresa Weller, founder and owner of multi-award winning Teresa Weller Hair Art salon – whose accolades include 2021 Salon Awards Best Salon For Bridal Hair, Best Customer Experience in Surrey, Good Salon Guide Creative Excellence Award, and Phorest Customer Experience Awards – Teresa was crowned a national champion by Hair Magazine on 13th March 2023.
- In 2022, artisanal, sustainable and purveyor of local goods, That Lovely Shop, was named Muddy Stilettos Best Lifestyle Store in Surrey and ranked second in the national final.
- On International Women’s Day, Louise Holme was featured in Essential Surrey alongside another inspirational female-led Dorking business, The Gin Kitchen. Customers love Holmestores’ locally sourced products, delicious food, and sustainable ethos. It’s a perfect combination of relaxed cafe and casual dining experience in an inspiring environment.
- Luxury Mayflower Spa was named Best Beauty Salon in Surrey by Muddy Stilettos and was ranked in the top five spas in the national finals.
- The Queen's Head Dorking, run by Manu Bhatt, in 2021 won the Griffin Trophy, Fuller's Pub of the Year Award, and a prestigious Michelin Plate.
- Flowers by Elaine on Dorking high street won Best Regional Florist in the South East in 2022 at The Wedding Industry Awards.
- Award-winning Victoria’s Little Bra Shop, founded 10 years ago by Victoria Legg and her mother Vanessa, were awarded a national title at the ‘Oscars of the Lingerie Industry’, winning the Stars Underlines Awards for Best Boutique Style Lingerie Shop 2019. Competing with 20 other businesses, Victoria’s Little Bra Shop received ‘Best Boutique’ due to its distinctive layout, with pleasing interior, furniture and fittings and an eclectic selection of intimate apparel.
- The Dorking Butchery is in the finals of the Butchers Shop of the Year Awards 2023. They are also shortlisted for: Butcher's Shop of the Year (Dorking and Guildford), Team of the Year, Display of the Year (Guildford), and Trainee of the Year (Cam at Guildford).
- Dorking businesses have consistently won prestigious awards and continue to excel in their respective industries. In early 2022, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA) visited Cobbett’s Beer Shop and Micropub to celebrate the independent micropub’s 10 consecutive years in CAMRA’s Good Beer Guide. Cobbett’s was also named in Business Magazine’s top six micropubs in the Southeast in 2022.
- Philippa McFarlane, Founder of Sandrock House on West Street, is a nationally renowned, multi-award winning interior designer and independent shop owner. She's won the UK Interior Design Awards two years in a row: 'The Best Use of Dark Decor' in 2019 and 'Best Eye for Interiors' in 2020.
- Putty Cakes, a new addition to Dorking's West Street, founded by Gavin and Anita Puttick, are the winners of the Surrey Life Food and Drink Awards 2017 for Independent Retailer of the Year. Gavin has won over 20 international awards for his cake creations and was filmed by Channel 5 for their Amazing Cakes and Bakes programme.
The Dorking BID is sponsoring a Community Spirit Award for the DorKing Coronation Celebration on 8th May and is being judged by three Surrey-based experts who embody and champion the values central to these awards. The BID is recognising three inspiring individuals in three categories: Sustainability Champion, Volunteer of the Year, and Best High Street Business.
- Ends -
Notes to Editors
Interviews and images are available on request. For more information, please contact Kathy Kyle at kathy @ dorkingtownpartnership.co.uk or 07377 096 892.
About the Dorking Town Centre Partnership
The Business Improvement District (BID) for Dorking is committed to raising the profile of Dorking and bringing economic prosperity to the town. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram at @HelloDorking. Tag us to be featured at #HelloDorking.
Learn more about the Dorking BID at https://linktr.ee/hellodorking
Social Media: @hellodorking